Tuesday, February 17, 2009

People Die Fast


Perhaps not the best day we have had in Haiti. Early this morning we were trying to catch up on emails and some work when two guys came to the door. They said they had someone "malade" ...I invited them to step in and asked a couple of questions but with little English and no Kreyol I could understand I explained our clinic is closed. We have no physician or medicine and they would need to go to Point a Rocquette. They didn't seem too upset and left, neither looking very ill.


Around noon our translater returned from Abamang, the other half of Sousafilip, the poorer half...if possible, and asked if someone had come earlier to the clinic. I told him of the two guys and then he told me they had a young woman with them who died about 8 am. They had been going to the clinic in PaR when she got much worse and died shortly after they took her from the boat.


Within a few minutes a couple came to ask for a ride across the island. They had been in the boat coming here to head to Anse a Galets in another fishing boat, but it was now taking the body back to Grande Vide.


That is the only part of the story that makes any sense. With the help of the translator I attempted to ask questions and got a jumble of answers. She was complaining of "gas" but sitting up eating peanuts. She had not been ill long and had a baby 3 months old. Her husband was with her. She probably was dead by the time the two men came to the house. They did not take her to the clinic in Grande Vide or to a closer one at Tamerin because she was not that sick. Huh? From there it got more confusing.


Yes, today I learned a very hard lesson. No matter how casual they act, when someone tells me another is sick...gas, splinter or broken toenail, I'm going to go look! AND..even though or because our clinic is closed, it is critical to respond. Point a Racquette is too far away and looking answers more questions.


When the crying could be heard over the wind, I pledged to do whatever I can to get this clinic reopened: with physician, nurses, lab, emergency meds and supplies. I can no longer sit with my hands over my eyes and wish for miracles. People die quickly here.

No comments:

Post a Comment